Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Wesleyan Fund?

The Wesleyan Fund is the College's highest fundraising priority. The Wesleyan Fund provides support for current scholarships and need-based grants for students. Over 95% of Wesleyan students qualify for a scholarship or need-based grant. Financial aid is the single largest budget expenditure for the College each year. The goal for 2011-2012 is $1.2 million.

It seems I am solicited for a gift more than once a year. Is that true?

Once Wesleyan receives a gift from you, you will no longer be contacted for a gift for the remainder of that fiscal year, with the exception of special giving opportunities. Wesleyan's fiscal year runs from July 1 through June 30.

How quickly will my gift be processed and will I receive a receipt?

Your gift will be processed and acknowledged with an official receipt within 72 hours.

Can I make a gift with my credit card?

You can use our secure online giving site to make your gift to West Virginia Wesleyan with your American Express, Discover, MasterCard, or Visa. Or you can call the Office of Advancement toll-free at 800-768-8264 to make your gift by credit card. You can also call us at 304-473-8117.

How do I make recurring monthly gifts?

You can make your gift to Wesleyan without ever having to write a check through an Electronic Funds Transfer, spreading the cost of your support over the course of a year. Wesleyan EFT is safe, secure, and you will know when your account will be debited. You can choose to use your credit card or checking or savings account. Withdrawals are made on or around the 15th of each month. Please click here (use the current form) and mail it to the Office of Advancement. Contact Christie Villers at 800-768-8264 or at 304-473-8117 if you have questions.

How do I make a stock gift?

Call the Advancement Office during business hours (8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday-Friday) at 800-768- 8264 or at 304-473-8117 or email to inform the office of your intention to transfer stock. At that time, a member of the Advancement staff will provide you with the current electronic transfer information. Provide this information to your broker and instruct him/her to electronically transfer the shares to West Virginia Wesleyan.

If you would like to donate securities held in your possession, you may sign a stock power and have the signature guaranteed. Then mail the unsigned certificate and the stock power to the College in separate envelopes.

Stocks, bonds, or mutual funds make excellent gifts to Wesleyan. Gifts of appreciated securities have the advantage of capturing the appreciation with no capital gains tax being paid by the donor. You are entitled to a federal income tax charitable deduction for the fair market value of the securities on the date of the gift. You may carry forward any unused deduction for five additional tax years if necessary.

Can I make a gift in honor or in memory of someone?

Yes. Please indicate your desire to make your gift in honor or memory of an individual at the time you make your gift. Also, please provide us with contact information if you would like the College to notify the honoree of a family member of your gift.

How do I get my company to match my gift?

Companies have varying policies and procedures regarding their matching gift programs. Your Human Resources Department can provide you with the appropriate guidelines and paperwork to complete your match.

How do I give books, antiques, or other collectibles to Wesleyan?

A gift-in-kind allows you to give personal property to West Virginia Wesleyan in the form of real estate, books for the Library, antiques, collectibles, or works of art. If the College can use the gift in its educational program, you may deduct the full fair market value. The fair market value is determined by a professional appraisal obtained by the donor.

Are donations to Wesleyan tax deductible?


Can I make a gift anonymously?

Yes. Simply let us know at the time the gift is made if you would like to remain anonymous.

If my spouse is also an alumnus/a of Wesleyan, will we both get credit for making one gift?

Yes. Wesleyan alumni sweethearts each receive credit for the full amount of the joint gift.

What calendar does Wesleyan use to recognize gifts?

Wesleyan operates on a fiscal year rather than a calendar year. Each fiscal year runs from July 1 through June 30.

How will my gift be recognized?

Unless you specify that your gift remain anonymous, your name will appear in the appropriate donor categories in our annual Honor Roll of Donors Report that is mailed each October.

How do I make a pledge?

Simply call the Advancement Office at 800-768-8264 or 304-473-8540 or send an email to Bob Skinner '75 or Rose Ellen Loudin '03 with your name, amount of your pledge, and your gift designation.

Can I designate my gift to an academic department, athletic program, or scholarship fund? If so, how do I make the designation?

Yes. Academic departments, administrative offices, many campus organizations, and athletic programs have "Friends of" accounts. Wesleyan also has over 600 endowed scholarship funds. Simply, write the designated fund on the memo section of your check or in the appropriate section of the Make a Gift online form. You can also notify the Advancement Office at 800-768-8264 or 304-473-8117 or email us at

This is my reunion year. Where should I direct my reunion gift?

If you choose, you can direct your gift to your class specific reunion fund. Simply choose "Other" on the online form and indicate "Class of XXXX Reunion Fund" in the box provided.

What is the Wesleyan Society?

Established in 1995, the Wesleyan Society is a community of individuals and organizations who pledge to become partners in a shared vision for West Virginia Wesleyan. Society members believe in West Virginia Wesleyan and its mission and express that support with gifts of $1,000 or more each fiscal year (July 1 - June 30).

What is the Reger Society?

The John W. Reger Society is named after one of West Virginia Wesleyan's first trustees and major benefactors. It is a cumulative recognition society for those persons who make Wesleyan a part of their estate or gift planning. Membership may be secured by including the college in your will, making Wesleyan the owner or beneficiary of insurance policies, or by participating in any of the various lifetime income plans the college has available. Membership in the society will be permanent; that is, it will continue from year to year throughout the member's lifetime so long as the commitment remains in effect. The membership roster is displayed prominently in Wesleyan's annual donor recognition report. A membership certificate also is provided to all members. For more information, contact David Peters '65, coordinator of planned giving, at or call toll-free at 800-768-8264 or 304-473-8540.

Whom should I contact to discuss a large gift opportunity?

To discuss a large gift opportunity, please contact one of the following:

Bob Skinner '75
Director of Advancement
800-768-8264, ext. 8557
or 304-473-8557

Whom should I contact if I have other questions?

If you have additional questions, please contact the Advancement Office at 800-768-8264 or 304-473- 8540 Monday-Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

For more information, contact

Office of Advancement
59 College Ave.
Buckhannon, WV 26201
800-768-8264 or

Rose Ellen Loudin '03
Director of Advancement Operations
800-768-8264, ext. 8600
or 304-473-8600